Trade Winds Blowing

ב"ה

So I'm watching the Mets play the Blue Jays tonight. They actually won on Sunday and didn't play yesterday. Tonight is the first of a two-game series "North of the Border".

Because the Mets won on Sunday (despite losing badly in the first two games), I watched the replays (first the "Fast Forward" when they show the highlights in a one hour format and then the three hour format where most of the time they show most of the game). So even though I was not able to watch the game while it was going on, I got to see it (knowing they would win -- phew!)

So far there have been some good hits, in particular it's nice to see a couple of home runs (as I mentioned, I love Wilmer Flores and he's DHing tonight and I've seen enough of his home runs that I knew this one was going to go out).

In any case, I've been listening to a lot of "Baseball Night in New York" (I miss Mets Hot Stove because it's all Mets -- I'm not exactly a Yankee fan -- Let's put it this way, I thought it would be nice to have a T-Shirt that says "I root for the Mets and whoever is playing the Yankees) and there are two things I'm sick of hearing: 1) The Mets are going to trade ____________ (fill in the blank) before July is over and 2) Matt Harvey. There are other ways to build a team over the long run than trading the whole team away. It's hard, right now, as a fan, hearing "They're going to trade away the players you really like".

As for the former "Dark Knight", I'm sorry, I thought that once he was cut loose his name wouldn't be mentioned again until/unless he was pitching against the Mets. I was a big Matt Harvey fan, really, I was. At the beginning, he seemed humble and lovable (like shoeshine boy for you Underdog fans). He would take responsibility for his mistakes.

But something seems to have happened over the course of two operations; he went from seeming professional, seeming like a team player, to seeming to be "full of himself". He lost me little by little until he refused to go down to the minors. That, to me, said, "I'm not a team player. I don't care about the fans, I don't care about my teammates. I only care about myself."

To be honest, I was thrilled that they actually got a warm body for him, a warm body that appears to be worth the old Dark Knight. Devin Mesoraco has been adding to the team since he "got here" (he hit a home run tonight). He works well with the Pitching Staff.

I hope they win tonight. It's currently 6-1 Mets in the 7th. Wheeler tonight has looked good. He got out of trouble a couple of times.

ps -- they ended up losing 8-6. The bullpen imploded yet again. It's really sad to be a Mets fan this year. I want my vintage 1962 crying towel back.

BTW, I really don't think a trade is necessary (we do need some relief pitching) -- I think all this team needs is to go on a picnic together -- play some softball, volleyball, touch football, etc. and become a team. They are individuals who are capable, they just need to be a team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Started This Blog

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Lionizing the Braves