Why I Started This Blog

ב"ה

I have been a Mets fan for a long time. I actually lived through the 40-120 season and their Polo Grounds years, the Marvelous Marv days, the "Willie Mays returns to NY" days, the Roger Craig losing streak days, the Ron Swoboda, Ron Locke and Ron Hunt days. I also lived through 1969's amazing year and 1973's "You Gotta Believe" year. 

Until recently, I didn't watch any of the analysis shows. This season, while not my first season watching (I think I started watching them in the fairy tale season of Yoenis Céspedes in 2015), this season it feels like everything is under a microscope.


I've been wanting to write some thoughts for a while. So here goes:


1) Jose Reyes is no worse than anyone else. I don't think he's quite over the hill yet -- but he does mean a lot to Mets fans. He is, after all, the first Mets to lead the league in batting (and what was his reward???)

2) What is going on? Why is no one hitting? How can a team that won 11 of 12 to open the season be totally dying, having lost 10 of 11? I have yet to hear of a players' meeting or anything like that. What are the team leaders (or are there any???) doing to get out of this major team hitting dearth?
3) I don't think it's time to panic, I don't think it's time to sell the team for the future of the team. I do think it's time for the team to gel, become a team and work together. We need to prove that this team is still capable of hitting without Céspy. 
4) The worst (the 2018 equivalent so far) of the 2015 Padres game when the Mets were up 7-1 (or something like that) and lost was losing a two-game series to the Orioles, who had the worst record. 
5) Papa John's has changed their commercials from the Mets scoring 6 runs gets free Pizza to the Mets winning getting free Pizza. The Mets haven't scored more than 3 runs in a game for weeks -- even the game they did win they only scored 2 runs.  
6) We can't blame the Starting Pitching. Poor DeGrom should clearly have a much better record. Lugo is coming into his own. It's hard to win a game when your teammates can't get safely out of the batter's box. What can the hitters do to string a few hits together so they can score runs? What happened to the runs they were scoring in the first month of the season?

I am not giving up on them (heck, I don't give up on the Mets until they are mathematically eliminated).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Lionizing the Braves