Today was McNeil Day

ב"ה

Jeff McNeil, a new Met, had a great day tonight (ok, that sounds oxymoronic, but bear with me). Today being Shabbat (the Sabbath) I couldn't watch until about 9:30ish and I came in and found the Mets ahead (and then found out the Mets lost last night -- when I had to turn the TV off last night for Shabbat, the score was tied 1-1, so I was pretty disappointed when I found out they had lost a 4th in a row) 3-0 and heard that McNeil had been 3 for 3. By the time the game was over, he was 4 for 4, including a double, and fielded the last 4 outs against the Braves. Not bad. I certainly hope this is not a fluke.

I know just about everyone is counting the Mets out, including management, the commentators, the announcers, etc. (BTW, I'm sort of sick of hearing the announcers always down on the Mets and, instead of being happy for the Mets when someone on the other teams makes a bad play and disappointed when someone makes a great play against them -- just who are you rooting for, Keith, Ron and Gary????) They are talking like there is no chance for the Mets with the current team either this year (maybe that's the case, but in 2015, with everyone behind them, they actually made it to the World Series, and in 1973, IIRC, they were in last place deep into August, so I at least haven't given up hope totally) or next (it would be nice if Cespy can come back next year and if Bruce comes back this season and the hitters who are slumping or mini-slumping get out of the depths of despair and maybe if we could get Asdrubal back.). This team does have potential. After tonight, I don't want to see Wheeler leave and even before I didn't want to see deGrom or Syndergaard to be traded away. Matz could be a bit less erratic, but I have seen flashes of greatness from him too.

I can't help it, I grew up with the Mets and I grew up expecting them to do the unexpected, whether good or bad. Whenever they win, I'm happy. But if you look at the standings, yes, they are 15.5 games behind and 14.5 behind the second wild card, but this isn't the AL East where the last place Os have an elimination number of 8 already at 44 games behind the Bosox (even 3rd place Tampa Bay has has a lower elimination number than the Mets and is more games behind at 21.5). Yes, it's highly unlikely that Tampa Bay will win their division and it's probably unlikely that the Mets will win the division, but this is not the time yet to give up, IMHO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Started This Blog

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Lionizing the Braves