What Can I Say?

ב"ה

What can I say? Last year, while the team was pathetic (we were the walking wounded last year) at least they were able to win a game or two here or there. This historic patheticalness has reached a level that makes me (possibly as a sample fan) turn away from the half innings when the opposition is hitting (and I do mean hitting -- and hitting hard).

I turned on my TV last night (after Shabbat, the Sabbath) just in time to see the tail end of a grand-slam home-run, not from the Mets, but from the Dodgers. Based on the numbers, they were already behind (the GS made the score 8-2) but at least at 4-2 makes one feel as though it's possible -- 8-2, especially this season with 1962-style losses abounding, makes one feel that the climb up is impossible.

I started writing this before the game started today. And the first inning was scary (I was visualizing an inning that would break the Red Sox record of 17 runs in one inning before I was born)  when Blevins (who hasn't exactly had an All-Star season) gave home-runs to the first two batters (he got the next six batters out).

As I write this, the score is tied 4-4. I have noticed in the past couple of months (May and June) that the Mets can manage to take any game where a fan might think they might win and turn in into another game in the Loss column. It's a real talent, I think.

I keep wondering how long they will continue the agonizingly disappointing season. I don't ever give up until they're mathematically eliminated from the race (and the wild cards) but it's certainly heading in that direction. From my perspective, the low point so far was losing two games to Baltimore, which had the worst record in MLB. But this game (the Dodgers just went ahead with home-run #5) is a microcosm of the entire season.

I'm frustrated as a loyal fan -- I wonder how many fans will "jump ship" and start rooting for another team (I'm not like that -- I root for teams for more important reasons, like which team had the cutest guys when I was 7).

Let's Go Mets??????


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Started This Blog

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Lionizing the Braves